Sunday, August 10, 2014

Zuppas Toscano

Description:
A knock off recipe of my favorite Olive Garden soup.

I would change a little bit, I thought the heavy cream was a
little too heavy (and fatty!). I think next time I will try half and
half or even just 2% milk to see what difference it makes. It
was still super tasty being as thick as it was. Also I added
basil while sauteeing my sausage and some into my broth
when started.


Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage (I used mild)
2 large potatoes (I hate russets so I used reds)
1 large onion
1/4 cup bacon bits
2 cloves garlic
2 cups Kale or swiss chard
8 ounces of chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup heavy whipping cream


Directions:
sautee sausage in soup pot, and crumble into good sized
chunks. When cooked, remove from pot.

Add chicken broth, water, and salt and pepper (to taste, use
your best judgement) to pot, once at a slow rolling boil add
chopped onions and garlic. After 5 minutes or so (get the
broth good and flavored) add 1/4 inch sliced potatoes (or the
size that you want to eat in a spoonful, they work best if in
thin slices and not cubed chunks).

Cook on medium heat until potatoes are starting to soften,
(but not too soft or it will be mushy).

Add sausage and bacon bits

Simmer for another 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and add heavy cream and chopped (again
whatever size you want to have in the spoonful, I like medium
to small chunks). Stir till and make sure all of your kale is
submerged or wet. Cover pot and rest for 10 minutes or until
you are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment